The more the biometrics technology is going contactless, the more it is stepping ahead in providing a completely secure & hygienic experience at the workplaces
Biometrics technology has acquired one of the top statuses in the race to make our lives convenient and well-to-do.
In the time when we are experiencing the technology going wireless with in-built power backup through batteries being an aged and time-tested feature. The only wired barrier which remains is; Network Connectivity and consumers nowadays watch out for wireless transmission options.
This article will try to familiarize you with one of the wireless connectivity options the contactless face reading attendance and access control system works on, WiFi connectivity.
Steps to Configure Wi-fi in Bio-Facer Reader
HOW IT WORKS:
- The option for WiFi lies in the network settings in the option Settings
- Available WiFi networks will appear by clicking on click to scan available networks where we will be entering the SSID (WiFi network name) and then entering the password. If the WiFi is on an open network, the password will be 1234.
- In general settings, enter the IP address, DNS( Domain Name System) which translates human-readable domain names to a machine-readable I.P address, Netmask which divides the I.P address into subnets, and Gateway which helps in sending local network traffic to other networks.
- Talking about DHCP( Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which is a network management protocol used to automate the process of configuring devices on I.P networks, checking and clicking the dynamic, and putting the machine on reboot.
- After the machine restarts, it gets connected to the WiFi, and signal strength can be seen on the screen.
CLIENT-SIDE PROBLEMS & SOLUTIONS:
To understand it better, let’s start with the machine connectivity modes:
- Server Mode: In this mode, the machine and the software both are connected to a company’s local network only and not with the internet. The data would be transferred to the company’s server through this mode with no requirement of the internet as a transfer medium.
- Client Mode: The biometric attendance machine and the software are connected through the internet in this mode. With this option, the machines installed, whether in any of the states or in any country, all the attendance and access control data would come to the assigned computer via the internet.
WiFi connectivity is a boon but coming out on some of the most common yet trickiest technical glitches being faced on the client’s site with the WiFi-enabled machines can be:-
- MAC Address Reservation: During the machine installation in an organization with an open WiFi network, the machine gets connected to it with the id and password but sometimes the internet doesn’t get connected as the MAC address of the machine is not reserved on the network which obstructs the WiFi availability.
Reserving the MAC address of the machine on the network will solve this problem.
- Internet Access: As the internet is necessary for a machine to work with the client mode, the machine is connected to WiFi but access to the internet is still not possible.
The reason is, the IP address provided to the machine hasn’t got access to the internet. Once access to the machine’s IP address is permitted by the IT department, the internet services will start working. Read more: How Fingerprint Login Can Ensure Business Network Security?
- Lost Wi-fi Signal: In case the internet connection is lost due to a technical glitch, the machine will stay connected to the same network and will resume its operation after receiving the signals back.
- Poor/Incompetent Wi-fi Signal Problem: In case the WiFi signals are poor, the data transmission process won’t stop and will continue as per the available bandwidth.
WHY WE SHOULD GO FOR IT:
The Real-Time Data Fetching feature enables the machine to fetch the data every 3 minutes and this cannot be altered or skipped which ensures all the attendance and access control reports can be synced instantly.
Wireless connectivity erases the wiring trouble making the machine get installed at any part of the office and operate with its full efficiency on the WiFi. Also read:
Because of the current pandemic situation when the world is opting to go contactless in almost everything, the contactless and wireless attendance and access control system is gaining popularity and trust in the biometric industry, and that too with all the foolproof techniques.
While understanding that these kinds of technical projects always remain in an urgent need of technical assistance and after-maintenance services, trusting & opting for an Indian manufacturer not only ends a company’s discomfort for after-sales services but also helps in building up the initiatives like Make in India, Made in India, and Vocal for Local.
Also read: How to Configure GPRS in Bio-Face Reader
Also read: Advantages and Disadvantages of Biometric Identification and Authentication